inhealth — institute for health transformation
Joaquim Cardoso MSc — Founder, CEO and CSO
January 21, 2023
John Throop, MD, MBA, FACEP, Don Powell, DO, FACEP, and Bradley Slywka, MD
November 16, 2022
- Health care organizations continue to search for solutions to mitigate physician burnout and its effect on provider mental health, turnover, and patient care.
- Emergency Care Specialists, a large independent emergency medicine practice based in Michigan, has found that the creation of a sabbatical program of recurrent month-long blocks of paid time off has resulted in
(1) sustained career satisfaction,
(2) extremely low rates of physician attrition, and
(3) decreased feelings of burnout.
- A program of this nature can be initiated by other health care entities in a cost-effective manner.
Originally published at https://catalyst.nejm.org